The Australasian Meat Industry Employees Union (Newcastle and Northern Branch) is a trade union representing members working in abattoirs, poultry processing, dairy, supermarkets and butchers.
We are looking for an energetic, enthusiastic and self motivated person to be appointed to join our vibrant team as International Liaison Officer.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
- organising AMIEU members and developing delegates, including building membership;
- representing and advocating for members in an employment relationship setting;
- negotiating collective employment agreements.
The person we need will be a resilient team player with a positive and enthusiastic outlook, a demonstrated commitment to union or community activism, excellent all-round communication skills, and the ability to build and maintain constructive relationships.
The role is busy, varied and challenging so great organisational, time management and problem solving abilities are all a must.
This position is for a part-time (3 days per week) role with the possibility of expanding to a full-time position in the future.
The successful applicant will be based in our Newcastle office, however applicants must be willing and able to travel
Desirable attributes include:
- industrial relations experience
- Knowledge of the Mandarin/Korean language is highly desirable however knowledge of other Asian languages will also be considered
Key selection criteria:
- Experience interpreting and translating Mandarin and/or other Asian languages.
- Capacity to develop, implement and evaluate organising, worksite and campaign plans.
- Ability to analyse information and develop detailed organising strategies.
- An understanding of and a commitment to the principles of organising.
- High-level written and verbal communication skills.
- Capacity to provide appropriate and adequate advice to members on grievances and undertake negotiations on behalf of members.
- Ability to recruit new members to the Union.
- Ability to undertake collective bargaining activities at allocated worksites.
- The ability to organise effectively in allocated worksites and empower members, delegates and activists.
- Capacity to promote the values, principles and policies of the Union.
- The ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- The ability to understand and interpret awards, agreements and relevant industrial legislation.
- An understanding of contemporary industrial relations issues.
- Demonstrated commitment to the vision, values and objectives of the union and social justice principles.
- Computer skills relevant to the position.
- Current driver’s license
Questions about this vacancy can be directed to The Secretary, on (02) 4929 5496 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Written applications to:
Applicants must address the criteria and supply a resume.
Australasian Meat Industry Employees Union
PO Box 2263
DANGAR NSW 2309
Or by email: email@example.com
Applications must be received by close of business 20 April 2018.